As one of Central Michigan University’s principal public service commitments, CMU Public Broadcasting has provided television and radio programming and other outreach activities for over 30 years to residents of 52 counties in central and northern Michigan and portions of Ontario. With five television and eight radio stations reaching almost 6 million people, CMU Public Broadcasting is the largest university-owned public broadcasting network in the nation and is a vital community resource.
CMU Public Television offers programs that educate, inspire and entertain. These programs include a combination of national programs, such as the award-winning PBS children’s programs, Antiques Roadshow, NOVA, and Masterpiece Theatre, and high quality local programs including, Ask the Specialists, Quiz Central, Destination Michigan, and Capitol Report.
CMU Public Radio provides outstanding programming around the clock. In addition to national programs such as Morning Edition, All Things Considered and A Prairie Home Companion, our radio network offers a wide range of local programs featuring classical music, jazz, and award-winning local news and information.
Our Mission Statement
A service of Central Michigan University, CMU Public Broadcasting’s mission is to:
- Inform and entertain our viewers and listeners throughout central and northern Michigan with programming and services that reflect and respect the cultures of our state and world.
- Present a balanced schedule of thoughtful programs that have the potential to change lives.
- Bring arts and culture to central and northern Michigan by organizing and promoting university and community events.
- Identify and bring together university and community experts and resources to address issues relevant to the communities we serve.
CMU Public Broadcasting strives to be a positive influence in our communities. We work to be responsive to the needs of our viewers and listeners and to be the recognized source in central and northern Michigan for:
- Identifying important issues in our communities and offering programs and services that empower individuals to make informed decisions.
- Presenting unique performance programs that offer a comfortable alternative to other programming.
- CMU Public Broadcasting embraces cultural diversity and provides a forum to better understand our rich heritage.
- We believe that education is essential to improving our future and that lifelong learning is desirable and necessary.
- We believe an informed public is better equipped to make decisions on the social issues that face our communities.